Talking Pictures - Memory Lane: Illmatic & the Golden Age of Hip Hop No classification required
Co-presented with RRR
Reflecting on this year's Backbeat title Time Is Illmatic, about Nas' classic, groundbreaking 1994 album Illmatic, this session will offer a robust discussion about the long-lasting impact of this seminal record on hip-hop scenes past and present.
With hosts Lauren Taylor and Simon Winkler, plus special guests, incuding:
- Stew Farrell: RRR broadcaster, Breakfaster and resident hip-hop historian. Stew's vinyl library of rap records leaves even the most dedicated collectors in awe.
- Robbie Ettelson: the founder of the Conservative Rap Coalition, head of hip-hop site Unkut, and occasonally described as an East Coast Elitist.
- A-Love: an acclaimed Melbourne-based hip-hop artist and MC whose debut album Ace of Hearts was nominated 'Best Urban Release' in the ARIA Music Awards of 2008. A-Love also founded the independent record label and distribution company Duality Records.
- Natalie Cunningham: an award-winning Australian filmmaker whose documentaries explore the cultural and linguistic diversity of her hometown, Melbourne. Her documentary Ror is screening at this year's MIFF alongside Time is Illmatic.
- Namila Benson: an MC, broadcaster and producer with vast experience across radio, blogging and television. Namila is also a hip-hop fanatic and DJ extraordinaire, regularly appearing at festivals and conferences. Namila brings an unparalleled knowledge and love of music, art and culture to the panel
- Tara Judah: Tara is a writer, programmer and radio critic. She is the Programming and Content Assistant at The Astor Theatre, committee member of the Melbourne Cinematheque, Editor for FIPRESCI and has served on various festival selection committees and juries. Tara’s writing also appears on Senses of Cinema, Fandor’s Keyframe, Overland, Metro and Screen Education. Tara co-hosts a film criticism show called Plato’s Cave on RRR.
This is a free event, but an RSVP is required. If you'd like to come along, simply follow the booking process below to claim a free ticket.
This event was part of our 2014 Festival. To learn more about this year's MIFF, visit here